Register  /   My Profile High School   /   College   /   Professional
   Who's On Right Now: Silent Stalkers: 7518 | Cool Members: 0
Home > All Categories > College Sports > Idaho > College News

Y of I competitive Sports
Reply   New Topic   show replies:   viewing threshhold:

mr doubtfire

Total Posts: 426

Y of I competitive Sports  4/9/2010 9:58:56 PM score: 0    hide

Anyone play them.  I read on there website that they play with High School rules with modifications you see at a rec level same as pe sports.

Do any Rexburg area residents watch them?  Or Y of I Students for that matter?  Basketballl I doubt has  a shot clock and does running clock.  May have to do to number of games.  Football they don't even kick off?  Do they ever kick?  And do they play 11 man football.

If they want that Extramural sports I think it would be a good idea to play under ncaa rules.  It is nice though that there are actual tryouts and more people can play on the teams.  And gain experience coaching.  Not like regular intermural if you have somewere to be that is were you would be.  Coaches and commitment is good.

More people involved in greater number of activities.  Though they are building a 15,000 seat auditorium up there with 10 basketball courts.  Maybe do what there neighbors down south do and put in football goalposts and  carpet on it. 

I don't know if it will ever happen than again I heard hundreds of Times Ricks College would never be a four year school.  But nice if intercollegiate Athletics returned up there.  There are Division II and Big Sky Teams close by.  I think that activity program costs way much more money and brings in less than an Intercollegiate program would.  BYUHawaii is much smaller and travel itself is expensive.  ARe Division II.  I think it costs much more for them to field teams than it would BYUI.  And they had Intercollegiate Athletics for the past 30 years.  Maybe wishful thinking on my part but nice for the Viking Ship to sail again.

If not I think it would be a good idea to go by strict ncaa rules if possible in the competitive sports up there.  May not be able to do to time contstaint.  And have any posters here participated in the Competitive Sports program.  Not rec but Competitive up there.  And if so how has your experience been with it?

POTUS23

Total Posts: 12

Re: Y of I competitive Sports  5/6/2010 5:26:59 PM score: 0    hide

Yes there are lots of people that do intramurals there.
There might be some Rexburg residents watching depending on what is going on.  But there isn't a lot of advertising for events except on campus.  Students do come and watch though.
The competitive sports are played just like in high school.  There aren't many modifications that I am aware of.
It's definitely a lot of fun.  I've participated in the competitive wrestling for two years now.  I also with that they would start a real program and compete with other Universities.  But it'll never happen.

stinger58

Total Posts: 5903

Re: Re: Y of I competitive Sports  6/8/2010 11:13:57 AM score: 0    hide

It's an absolute shame that sports were taken out of BYUI. There are so many teams that they could play and be in a good conference again. It was a tragedy that it happened and I could never understand the Church's reasoning behind that decision. The school provided a great stepping stone for the athletes that went on to D-I schools and it isn't like they don't have enough money to fund the programs. That's why I pay tithing! Where does BYU-Hawai'i play? Their costs of travel would most likely surpass that of BYUI. The surrinding area would certainly support a sports program.

Gameplan

Total Posts: 228

Re: Re: Re: Y of I competitive Sports  8/1/2010 12:13:08 PM score: 0    hide

As for BYU-I it wasn't that they didn't try to keep the sports programs intact but they encountered two major problems. Lack of adequate facilities and lack of a conference to play in. No one would take BYU-I into their conference. Subsequently they've created an internal sports program that works alongside the activities program that lets many of the students get involved instead of only a few students. There are many positions available for students to learn leadership qualities while studying there. That's where your tithing money is going. If you believe in paying tithing than you should trust that the leadership of the church is inspired in all of their reasonings.

Camas Clown

Total Posts: 58

Re: Re: Re: Re: Y of I competitive Sports  10/21/2013 2:14:04 PM score: 0    hide

Thats why its short changed....

stinger58

Total Posts: 5903

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y of I competitive Sports  10/21/2013 6:17:22 PM score: 0    hide

I don't have an old schedule of Ricks basketball and all the teams they played. Doubtfire might. I did go to the schedule of BYU-Hawaii for this upcoming season. These are away games to the mainland. Nov.19th- Nov.23rd Seattle Pacific @ Ellensburg, WA, Central Washington U @ Ellensburg, WA.Jan.18th-Jan.25th--Fresno Pacific U @ Fresno, CA., Holy Names U @ Oakland, CA., Notre Dame de Namur @ Belmont, CA., Academy of Arts U @ San Francisco, CA., Feb.11th-Feb.15th- Dixie State @ St. George, UT., Azusa Pacific U @ Los Angeles, CA., Point Loma Nazarine @ San Diego, CA. --Mar 6th-Mar.8th PacWest Conference Tournament @ San Diego, Mar.13th-Mar.17th, NCAA II Regional TBA. With a coaching staff and a roster of 15 flying, what is the cost of that when compared to where BYU-I would have to travel?

landlord

Total Posts: 1203

Re: Y of I competitive Sports  10/22/2013 7:20:57 PM score: 0    hide

I thought they lost their athletic programs due to an NCAA rule that prohibits one school from having duplicate programs. When Ricks became BYUI the choice was to transfer some programs from Provo to Rexburg or eliminate the duplicate programs at BYUI. Am I correct on that?

Gameplan

Total Posts: 228

Re: Re: Y of I competitive Sports  10/22/2013 9:12:29 PM score: 0    hide

I doubt that is the case landlord. I feel as if that would apply to BYU-Hawaii as well. BYU, BYU-I and BYU-H are all separate universities.

The university tried to get into a conference as a div. 2 or 3 school but were denied because their facilities were lacking and there is no airport in Rexburg. At least that is the story that a former Rick's coach has told me.

landlord

Total Posts: 1203

Re: Y of I competitive Sports  10/22/2013 9:28:08 PM score: 0    hide

Thanks for the clarification

summertime_fan

Total Posts: 1002

Re: Y of I competitive Sports  10/23/2013 9:57:14 AM score: 0    hide

Airport? - Idaho Falls is pretty close... Viking stadium is still up many basketball courts in the Idaho center......

Reply   New Topic