Register  /   My Profile High School   /   College   /   Professional
   Who's On Right Now: Silent Stalkers: 3226 | Cool Members: 0
Home > All Categories > High School Sports > Idaho > Idaho High School GIRLS Basketball

4A/5A Predictions or Thoughts
Reply   New Topic   show replies:   viewing threshhold:

Farmbo

Total Posts: 474

4A/5A Predictions or Thoughts  10/30/2017 9:44:31 AM score: 0    hide

Looking for inputs/opinions on the upcoming season. What I think I know is: Century lost three/four starters to graduation and one backup to a move, but returns a dominant big girl and some other size. They should be good by the end but not deep and only one with experience on the guard line. Preston has size and return most of their lineup that took third at state last season. Poky returns size and quards and should be right in the mix. I say its a toss-up between those three in 5/6. IF and Skyline will most likely struggle to get wins again. In the 4th district Twin has size and Harr at the point I would guess it will be Twin and Minico with Burley making it interesting. Canyon Ridge, Wood River and Jerome doing what they usually do, but I don't know much about them. Axes you got anything to enlighten us? I know nothing about the Northern 4A teams but Moscow had size on the volleyball team. Does Sandpoint return their talented guard? In the 3rd district I would guess that Middleton, BK and Skyview will be the teams to watch as that has been the pattern for about ten years. Maybe Terminator or THairy can add some insight. In the 5A Im going to Predict Highland from the east because they return the USU commit Baker at Point as well as a lockdown defender in Rowe and their big girl Thayne who was dominant at times last year and looks to be in much better shape this season. They lost some three point shooters who played well last year but couldn't make open shots during the state tournament. They have replacements for those players. Bonneville, Madison and Hillcrest should be solid and fighting it out for second place. I'm sure the SIC will have 2 or 3 good teams as usual (Boise, Eagle, MV ,Rocky) and 2 or 3 more just behind them. Box and Terminator we await your predictions

popatop

Total Posts: 46

Re: 4A/5A Predictions or Thoughts  10/30/2017 10:26:41 AM score: -1    hide

Girls running around trying to play basketball. Makes me laugh. Wake me up when its over.

Farmbo

Re: 4A/5A Predictions or Thoughts  10/30/2017 1:09:21 PM score: 0    hide

Thanks for the insight Pop a Top. I used to be of the same opinion when I was young, arrogant and stupid.

axes

Total Posts: 373

Re: 4A/5A Predictions or Thoughts  10/30/2017 9:38:49 PM score: 0    hide

Now pop those are fighting words on this forum. Good startoff Farmbo. I will have to put on my thinking cap. Well Minico who lost two starters to injury just before district and state will likely be the team to beat in District 4. They return three starters and much of their horsepower. Their super athlete junior wing Taylia Stimpson has several d-1 offers over the summer and they have an outstanding point guard in sr. Sadie Anderson who will also play at the next level. They return the athletic Maura Merril off an ACL and should compete for a state title again. Burley has not given them a good game for several years and that will likely continue. Wood River has a decent jr class and could compete and Twin should be in the mix. Canyon Ridge has the Crist girl but not much to support them and Jerome lost their outstanding point guard to CSI and has a strong freshman and sophomore class and will be ok.

Box Out

Total Posts: 87

Re: 4A/5A Predictions or Thoughts  11/9/2017 7:13:04 PM score: 0    hide

First input for the upcoming season...EAGLE!! EAGLE!! EAGLE!! They were a strong team last year, and they lost 2 All State calibre players in Magnuson and Tiegs but they will still return SEVERAL D1 talents. I can't imagine anyone being able to hang with them from anywhere in the State. Boise lost Simpson so they will NOT be good. Centennial lost 2 All State players (including the POY) but does return 3-4 better than average players. Let's call Centennial a good 2nd place team. Mt. View has some players coming back..lets say 3rd place. Borah improved as the year went on last year, they could challenge for the 2nd/3rd place level. Off the top of my head, I can't envision any other teams in the SIC challenging. Up North will bring Post Falls with the Kempton girl who could easily average 25pts per game. Eastern Idaho??? Dont' get me started. :)

Farmbo

Re: 4A/5A Predictions or Thoughts  11/28/2017 11:24:25 PM score: 0    hide

Madison is big, Century is bigger. Madison beat Minico last week at Minico. Did anyone see it, and know what happened? Century beat Madison in Rexburg tonight by three. Both teams have size , but lots of work to do to be really good teams. Century lost in OT at Highland after coming from behind to take a two point lead in regulation and OT, both times turning the ball over without free throws. Bonneville,Highland, Century, Madison look like the four best in the East, but Poky and Preston both have potential to contend with Century for the district title.

axes

Re: 4A/5A Predictions or Thoughts  11/29/2017 10:30:49 AM score: 0    hide

I went to the Madison game and it was close till the last couple minutes and a similar tight game in Minico's loss at Highland. Minico plays at Madison Saturday and if they play the half-court game they will loose there as well. Last night they full court pressed for 3 quarters and blew out a young Jerome team. If they do that they will probably easily handle Madison and most teams they play in the future. They are not as athletic as last year but close. It is doubtful they will loose a game in their district. With a really good guard like Baker it may not be effective against Highland.

Total Posts: 24

Re: 4A/5A Predictions or Thoughts  11/29/2017 1:53:06 PM score: 0    hide

I think MOHO girls will surprise a few folks this year. Major up swing last year, and they didn't really lose anybody off that team.

Farmbo

Re: 4A/5A Predictions or Thoughts  12/3/2017 10:17:36 AM score: 0    hide

Good week for Century winning three on the road at Madison, Poky and finishing in a hard fought game at Preston Saturday night. Preston and Century each start three big girls and it its going to be a battle to see who develops as the season moves along. Century has started slow in all their games , then gradually pulled away in the third quarter as they calm down and use their inside game. Years past the district title was fairly predictable but, Poky, Preston , Blackfoot and Skyline are all improved this year. It will come down to who keeps improving and a couple breaks or calls in the district tourney. Njoku for Century is a force; she is averaging about twenty points and double digit rebounds while taking the opponents best defensive effort every night. If she is in the game and not in foul trouble she is going to score.

axes

Re: 4A/5A Predictions or Thoughts  12/3/2017 11:01:18 AM score: 0    hide

Thanks for the input Farmbo. The report also is Minico has had a good last three games defeating Madison 60-27 last night. Some girls have stepped up over last year with a couple three new girls demonstrating the ability to get to the hole in the halfcourt and being able to shoot the 3 which gives them some depth. Burley has a great guard in Pilling and had some help from their two bigs and athleticism and gave Minico a ten point game in a packed house this past week. Burley has double digit wins over Pocy and Preston and a horrible loss to Bonneville. Will see if Twin can give Minico a game this week.

Reply   New Topic