Register  /   My Profile High School   /   College   /   Professional
   Who's On Right Now: Silent Stalkers: 3227 | Cool Members: 0
Home > All Categories > High School Sports > Idaho > Idaho High School GIRLS Basketball

2A
Reply   New Topic   show replies:   viewing threshhold:

BallSoHard2414

Total Posts: 7

2A  11/21/2017 9:49:31 AM score: 0    hide

Girls season is underway and it looks like the 5th/6th will reign supreme again. Right you’d have to say the three favorites are Firth, Ririe, Soda with Malad and North Fremont looking like no easy outs too. Soda lacks some height/ good post play but have supreme guards and will run you outta the gym while playing great D most nights. They have arguably the hardest schedule in 2A with Sugar 2x (split with them), last years 3rd place 4A team Preston (won), Logan Utah, Snake 2x, 4A Bear River UT, Malad 2x and the Preston tournament so they’ll be battle tested. Tonight’s Sugar game for Firth will give some insight on how good Firth really is. So will the Logan game for Soda. It looks like Ririe won’t really be tested until district time with most of their games being against less then average completion. Just going off what I can remember from last year, St. Marie’s, Declo and Melba should win their respective conference this year.

WOODEYE

Total Posts: 478

Re: 2A  11/21/2017 12:51:26 PM score: 0    hide

Excited about Soda's team as I think they will be better than last year. They lost a great player in the Rasmussen girl but are returning a great player in the Yamauchi girl coming off a knee injury that took her out last year as a sophomore. They should be fun to watch. Looks like Ririe and Firth should be teams to watch. Melba from the Boise valley and Grangeville is always good.

BallSoHard2414

Total Posts: 7

Re: 2A  12/11/2017 2:23:47 PM score: 0    hide

We’re through the first quarter of the girls season. Melba has looked very good with blowing out nearly everyone including a good Parma team. Soda has wins against 4 4A teams and a 5A team that’s 5-2 I believe. Also have a good win over Sugar. I only have got to watch one soda game but I’m really impressed. The balls girl has improved vastly and brings a down low presence for this team I thought they would miss this year. Their fast and can press a whole game with how athletic they are. I’m not all the way sold on Malad but they’ll get 2nd in the district for sure. Sounds like a 2 man team that if you shut them down, they can’t score. West J, Firth and Ririe all look like good teams. They don’t have any super good wins besides Firths Suger win and so I can’t say who’d I take out of the those three.

WOODEYE

Re: 2A  12/19/2017 11:16:05 AM score: 0    hide

Half way through season and into league play I think the media polls are about right. Melba 1, Soda 2, Cole Valley 3. I believe Soda has had the toughest schedule with 1 5A school 3 4A schools and the 2nd ranked 3A school. Melba has rolled everyone including #5 Ranked Parma. If everything goes according to Hoyle Soda and Melba will meet in the second round at state. Of course a lot can happen between now and then. And Cole Valley may have something to say about that alone with Ririe, WJ and maybe a couple of others.

slim101

Total Posts: 73

Re: 2A  12/19/2017 3:30:46 PM score: 0    hide

I would agree that Melba and Soda Springs are most likely the two best teams. Cole Valley will continue to improve and Firth and Ririe will be the two teams from their district to survive. Like always it will come down to which team can stay the healthiest in February.

HustlinOwl

Total Posts: 94

Re: 2A  12/23/2017 11:31:50 AM score: 0    hide

I'll just comment on Cole Valley for now having not seen Melba yet. Maybe not the greatest basketball players but they're long and athletic. Three 6 footers and the 6'3" girl could play the 2 position if they needed it. CV is a lot like Bishop Kelley in that they're a private school and recruit from anywhere in the greater Boise area. Frustrating being in their conference, but it is what it is.

WOODEYE

Re: 2A  12/27/2017 5:57:25 AM score: 0    hide

Looks like Melba handled CV's length. One of the coaches for Soda said he thought CV could be the team to beat out of the 3rd district and they still might be but for now it looks as though Melba could go undefeated.

HustlinOwl

Total Posts: 94

Re: 2A  1/10/2018 9:31:04 AM score: 0    hide

Well I got to see Melba finally and they are the real deal. Kori Pentzer is a legit D1 college player(heard her little sister may eventually be better but didn't do much ion the game I saw), and Clark sisters may also play at the next level. They're all lightning fast, good shooters, ball handlers, unselfish, the almost complete package. If there's a weakness it may be they're a little undersized, I could see them getting pushed around a bit. This was against Marsing who were essentially missing three starters due to injury and foul trouble. Final 88-33. Heard Melba played all 4A/5A tournaments over the summer and only lost twice, once to Madison and not sure on the other.

slim101

Total Posts: 73

Re: 2A  1/10/2018 10:48:07 AM score: 0    hide

The Melba scores are insane. They are putting up lots of points and usually with a running fourth quarter. I hace seen them play two times this year and do not see them getting beat.

Libre

Total Posts: 21

Re: 2A  1/18/2018 11:36:12 AM score: 0    hide

This year the 5th district champ plays 6th district 2nd place and 6th district champ plays 5th district 2nd place in the first round at state. My prediction is that Melba will win their first round game at state then lose to whatever 6th district or 5th district team they will face. Melba might get 3rd place but that is only because 5th and 6th district guaranteed to have two teams on consolation side.

Reply   New Topic