Register  /   My Profile High School   /   College   /   Professional
   Who's On Right Now: Silent Stalkers: 1586 | Cool Members: 1
Home > All Categories > High School Sports > Idaho > Idaho High School BOYS Basketball

Is Eastern Idaho 4A better than Eastern Idaho 5A again this
Reply   New Topic   show replies:   viewing threshhold:

compete

Total Posts: 81

Is Eastern Idaho 4A better than Eastern Idaho 5A again this   12/17/2017 10:59:05 AM score: 0    hide

year? Preston beats Rocky in close game Saturday. Can this year's Preston team be as good as the State champions of the last 2 years. Using comparative scores an argument could be made that Preston 2 years ago was better than 5A champion Highland(Connor Harding) especially against the Northern Utah teams. It will be interesting to see how Century and Highland do this year against each other. How good is Hillcrest? Is the Johnson kid healthy? Burley is really good again. Minico and Century are young but promising.

Hoodlum

Total Posts: 171

Re: Is Eastern Idaho 4A better than Eastern Idaho 5A again this   12/28/2017 10:34:09 AM score: 0    hide

Can't let you think that's an accurate statement Compete, The Highland state champs of 2 years ago with Harding and Baker was the superior team. They proved that in Boise that they had that competitive edge to beat anyone.

That being said, with 5a trending down this year, you can easily make the argument that Preston is the best team in the state right now. It appears like Post Falls is playing very well, but their wont be any common opponents to compare any results between Post Falls and Preston.

Just to play devils advocate with your preston/rocky mountain game. If that game is played in the Boise Valley, Rocky wins it, the officiating in Preston let the kids decide the game (Lots of banging and physical play) as it should be, I've seen enough games live and video to know the Officiating on the other side of the state is WAY more ticky tacky, Parker would have fouled out in the first half. But that's a conversation for a new thread of posts.

Highland is SO up and down this year, its hard to get a read. Is Hillcrest as good as their record shows, I don't think so, but time will tell and getting Johnson back will make them better. Bonneville is down with Sorenson hurt and the Bobcats seem to be playing solid ball.

Century is a good team, blown out by highland due to their youth, starstruck eyes when they came through the doors, but they will compete to get to state this year.

compete

Re: Is Eastern Idaho 4A better than Eastern Idaho 5A again this   12/29/2017 11:49:07 AM score: 0    hide

Appreciate the reply Hood. An argument could be made either way on who was the better team that year. I saw both teams multiple times that year and I thought Preston was better. Although this year's Preston team is a huge favorite in 4A I wouldn't compare this years team to the team two years ago with Smellie, Parker, Wadsworth and three other 6 5 and 6 6 kids. I have never seen a Highland team as good as that group. Smellie and Parker will both have fine college careers if they choose. A couple others could play j.c. ball. That is a lot of talent on one team. The only common opponents that year were the Utah schools and Preston played them significantly better. For example Preston beat Logan who thumped Skyview who beat Highland by 15. In eastern Idaho where you have more than twice as many kids in 4A than 5A in basketball it seems only natural that at the top the 4A top teams will have more talent than the top 5A much if not most of the time. Football is different where you need so many more kids. That same year Minico played better against common opponents Twin,Century, and Poky than Highland did. Minico beat Hillcrest that year by 20 once but lost a close game to them and Highland beat them 3 times I believe. Minico just a touch under Highland and Highland was great. When you have more than twice as many teams in 4a than 5a the top teams are perhaps more likely to have more talent when you can only put 5 on the court at once.

Aggiegrey6

Total Posts: 1

Re: Is Eastern Idaho 4A better than Eastern Idaho 5A again this   1/31/2018 9:24:59 PM score: 0    hide

Compete, I think you are mistaken, Logan didn't thump Sky View, Sky view won their only game played against each other so far this season. Final SV 59 Logan 47.

compete

Re: Is Eastern Idaho 4A better than Eastern Idaho 5A again this   2/1/2018 11:22:49 PM score: 0    hide

I was referring to the 2016 season when Preston beat Logan who beat Skyview who beat Highland. Preston also played better against common opponent Twin Falls that year. Both won State. Preston was deeper, taller, more athletic. Just better than Highland. Both won state.

Hoodlum

Total Posts: 171

Re: Re: Is Eastern Idaho 4A better than Eastern Idaho 5A again this   2/2/2018 10:26:01 AM score: 1    hide

We are going to have to debate this comp, no questions about 4a vs 5a this year, Preston is above and beyond maybe everyone in the state this year..... 2016 however I disagree, I watched both championship games back to back. how are you going to say that Preston was taller and more athletic? Baker at guard 5'11 probably gave up height to Preston, but not athletically. Braedon West 6'2 quick, best shooter on the court and the unsung part of the team, Harding 6'5 and athletic best player in the state that year not giving up anything to Smillie, Hunter Eborn 6'4 big body physical, no match for Parker even as a sophomore. Cook at the other wing spot 6'2 worked hard not the best athlete. Bench was Carr 6'5 Atheltic, Togiai 6'3 big body Ok athlete :)

If you break down preston they had very similar kids at each spot. pluses and minues both ways. At best you can say they were close. It wouldn't have been logan that beat skyview that year as Logan is a new school this year, but one of the other Logan area schools. Twin Falls is going on 3 years of being bad, I haven't looked back at scores, but they can easily be deceiving as you already know.

just my 2 cents to add to the debate :)

goatman

Total Posts: 1597

Re: Is Eastern Idaho 4A better than Eastern Idaho 5A again this   2/2/2018 11:20:44 AM score: 0    hide

Logan is not new this year. In fact I think it is the oldest school in cache valley. Green Canyon and I think it's called Ridgeview are the new schools this year in cache valley.

no-it-all

Total Posts: 121

Re: Is Eastern Idaho 4A better than Eastern Idaho 5A again this   2/2/2018 1:29:04 PM score: 0    hide

No way that Preston team wins the 5a that year I feel highland played down to their opponents sure in the regular season that year Even when they played mountain view first round but no way Preston could have beaten borah that year

no-it-all

Total Posts: 121

Re: Is Eastern Idaho 4A better than Eastern Idaho 5A again this   2/2/2018 1:35:32 PM score: 0    hide

No way are strong words highly doubt they could beat them or centennial though

summertime_fan

Total Posts: 1013

Re: Is Eastern Idaho 4A better than Eastern Idaho 5A again this   2/2/2018 2:26:11 PM score: 0    hide

The cache valley schools are getting smaller and in my opinion less competitive. Green Canyon is new this year and Ridgeview is fairly new - I believe they are 2 years old... They competed at Red Rocks a couple of years ago when Highland was there.

Reply   New Topic