Register  /   My Profile High School   /   College   /   Professional
   Who's On Right Now: Silent Stalkers: 1580 | Cool Members: 1
Home > All Categories > High School Sports > Idaho > Idaho High School BOYS Basketball

2018 4A & 5A District and State
Reply   New Topic   show replies:   viewing threshhold:

terminator

Total Posts: 869

2018 4A & 5A District and State  2/9/2018 11:51:12 AM score: 0    hide

Thought the postseason might be a good time to start a new thread for the big schools=> 5A SIC PLAY-IN GAMES: Got a bit ahead of myself in earlier posts, namely assuning that CAPITAL would have no trouble with last place NAMPA. With the Bulldogs OT victory over the Eagles, call me corrected...play-in games are all on Saturday the 10th at the home of the higher seed...#5 MERIDIAN vs. #12 COLUMBIA (Warriors beat Wildcasts twice by +10) - Meridian's physicality and shooting puts them several steps ahead of those squads playing in the play-in game. Guessing this a 20+ point win for the Warriors; #6 KUNA vs. #11 NAMPA (Kavemen lost to Bulldogs by 1) - Kuna has two great offensive weapons in Barton and Patterson and regular season upset aside, that should be more than enough to take care of the Bulldogs; #7 EAGLE vs. #10 TIMBERLINE (Mustangs and Wolves split their two games, winning at home by 8 pts) - Eagle has a lot of size while the Wolves have two very good players in Zenner and Ford. This one could go either way but I think Eagle at home makes the difference; #8 Capital vs. #9 CENTENNIAL (Eagles lost to Patriots by 9) - two of the coldest teams in the SIC found each other for this play-in match up as Centennial has lost 5 in a row and Capital not only lost to Nampa but got absolutely blown out by MTN VIEW on Tuesday. I think Centennial wins in a close one but this game is literally a coin flip...TOP FOUR SEEDS: #1 BOISE/#2 BORAH/#3 ROCKY MOUNTAIN/#4 Mtn View...SIC 4A order should start to clarify Friday night...have a good weekend and keep us posted out East!

Capt. Obvious

Total Posts: 57

Re: 2018 4A & 5A District and State  2/9/2018 2:26:49 PM score: 0    hide

I feel like the SIC 5A is already clear as a bell. #1-4 WILL be representing the conference at State. Not sure who will end up being 1,2,3,4, but it will be the top 4 teams, so the semifinals/finals should be battles. After that...IF...there is going to be any upsets in this tourney it will be in Saturday's play-in rounds. After that it's just a matter of is KUNA or MERIDIAN going to claim the extra spot. Otherwise, this tourney will be B-O-R-I-N-G, no real 'upsets'.

MookieBlaylock

Total Posts: 49

Re: 2018 4A & 5A District and State  2/9/2018 2:46:24 PM score: 0    hide

Good move beginning a new thread Term. I agree with your play-in game winners. Out of the top 4 the only team I see potentially stumbling is MTN VIEW. They aren't on the same level as the top 3. They are very active defensively and work hard, but offensively they are a 1 player show. Granted that 1 player is phenomenal and will probably be enough to get them through. I'm curious how the tiebreaker between Borah and Rocky was decided. Do you know?

terminator

Re: Re: 2018 4A & 5A District and State  2/9/2018 3:16:48 PM score: 0    hide

Capt and Mook - outside of the definition of "BORING" it's hard to disagree with either of your assessments on the upcoming 5A SIC tourney. Three teams are clearly the leaders of the pack (and one of those is half a length over the other two), one team that is in the neighborhood, one team on the outskirts of the neighborhood and the rest? They are several counties to the south...I can't see BOISE/BORAH/ROCKY losing in round #1 no matter who their match-ups are. I can see MERIDIAN taking down MTN VIEW but that's not how I would bet. Semi-final games should be great fun and while the semi-final losers will have some angst working their way back through I don't see any teams in the loser's bracket (except maybe the Warriors) getting in their way for the #3 and #4 slots. The only other remote option is a maybe KUNA might slide in the #4 or #5 play-in slot but I honestly don't think that is in the cards...the beauty of sports is you don't know until you play the game but after a full season I can not disagree about the probable results looking crystal clear...PS, Mook - I have no idea how they broke the tie breaker, I always assumed coin flip if it couldn't be done head-to-head or best victory. Of course that could easily answered on the SIC website but that doesn't seem to be happening at this time and date.

crustyoldcrab

Total Posts: 36

Re: Re: 2018 4A & 5A District and State  2/9/2018 8:06:09 PM score: 0    hide

Mook.....I would not call that 1 player on MV a phenomenal player.He is a good player who plays hard.When he gets over to C of I his role will change.He will be come a rebounder and screen setter and might score 4 to 6 points a game. Hopefully he can be happy with that.I could be wrong but we will have to wait a year to find that one out.

MookieBlaylock

Total Posts: 49

Re: 2018 4A & 5A District and State  2/11/2018 12:27:49 PM score: 0    hide

Crusty - that “good” player is averaging over 22 points and 9 rebounds a game and easily leading the SIC in scoring. I haven’t taken the time nor had the desire to analyze his potential production and role at C of I, so I will defer to you on that one. But whatever label you are comfortable using I can confidently say that MV would not be the 4 seed without him. In other news the Saturday play-in games went pretty much as Term predicted.

crustyoldcrab

Re: Re: 2018 4A & 5A District and State  2/11/2018 2:56:30 PM score: 0    hide

Mook........I would hope with 257 FGA he would be leading the league in scoring.But on to other things I feel at least one upset coming the first round of districts.

compete

Total Posts: 81

Re: 2018 4A & 5A District and State  2/11/2018 6:26:36 PM score: 0    hide

20 games 13 attempts per game I will take 22 points anytime I think. Unless you are turning it over a bunch getting those shots. Pretty efficient.

crustyoldcrab

Re: 2018 4A & 5A District and State  2/11/2018 8:11:34 PM score: 0    hide

Comp.......Actually the 257 FGA was thru 14 games . He has over more than 50 more attempts than anyone else in the league.Lets get off this subject and get back to the first round of districts. I see Meridian taking out MV and moving them over the the loser side.

terminator

Re: Re: Re: 2018 4A & 5A District and State  2/11/2018 8:37:14 PM score: 0    hide

As noted, play-in games were held this past Saturday and no real surprises with seeds 5/6/7 and 9 advancing which sets the formal bracket SIC 5A Boys district tournament @Eagle (losers bracket) and @Rocky Mountain (winners bracket). Double elimination with the top 4 teams to state with the fifth place finisher venturing north for a play-in game against North #2 at Grangeville. FIRST ROUND starting Tuesday-> #1 BOISE vs. #9 CENTENNIAL (Braves beat Patriots by +20 in regular season) - projected outcome: Boise by plenty; #2 BORAH vs. #7 EAGLE (Lions beat Mustangs by +20 twice, including holding them to 20 points in the first game) - projected outcome: Borah by plenty; #3 ROCKY vs. #6 KUNA (Griz beat Kavemen by 25 and 39, holding Kuna to 24 points in the 2nd game) - projected outcome: while Kuna has steadily improved over the course of the season this is not a good match-up for them at all and once again, Rocky by plenty; #4 MOUNTAIN VIEW vs. #5 MERIDIAN (Mavs and Warriors split, each winning by 8 on their home floor) - projected outcome: hmm, finally a good one (at least on paper). Both teams play a lot alike, patient and physical and I think both teams are well coached. Meridian is much deeper and spreads the wealth offensively and of course Mtn View has the player "that shall not be named" in CofI bound and probable 1st team SIC member Jalen Galloway. I think his game has grown substantially and I think he's going to be a very nice player at the NAIA level as he continues to mature. This is a critical game as the loser of this game could eventually end up playing the semifinal loser of the probable Borah-Rocky game for a state berth and let's face it, there are easier routes to state then beating either of those teams. My pick, Mtn. View by <5...Tuesday will be busy as the 4A squads finish their regular season as well to determine seedings for district. More later...

Reply   New Topic