Register  /   My Profile High School   /   College   /   Professional
   Who's On Right Now: Silent Stalkers: 1554 | Cool Members: 1
Home > All Categories > High School Sports > Idaho > Idaho High School BOYS Basketball

3A District Tournaments
Reply   New Topic   show replies:   viewing threshhold:

grizz200

Total Posts: 1554

3A District Tournaments  2/10/2018 11:44:20 AM score: 0    hide

With the regular season wrapping up shortly, it's time to start districts.
Up north, Kellogg is once again in a completely different universe compared to the other teams. They should win that with little problem, and the 2nd place team will have a short stay in Meridian.
In the west, Fruitland has blown everyone out of the water at least once. They seem to be the most complete team in the 3rd, and if they play to their capabilities, they should be able to win their first championship since 2013. As for the 2nd place slot, Parma and Weiser would be a pick-em, as Payette and Homedale seem to be struggling right now. On a side note, Fruitland has 1 senior this year. They should be scary good next year.
In the 4th Kimberly seems to be the best team, and has huge non conference wins over Snake River and Sugar Salem, but was also blown out by Shelley. Even so, they should be considered the favorite to win the 4th.
In the 5th district, Snake River has been the favorite all season long, not only for a district crown, but the state title as well. That said, Marsh Valley has given Snake a couple of closer ball games than they would have liked, and while I don't think it's likely, they could pull off the upset, but that's an if.
Finally, we close things out in the wild and wacky 6th. Sugar won both meetings by a combined 5 points. In other words, the 2 teams could flip flop in the tournament, and I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest. As for the other teams, well, better luck next year for South and Teton.

Ron Burgundy

Total Posts: 110

Re: 3A District Tournaments  2/12/2018 4:17:23 PM score: 0    hide

Grizz great analysis of the districts. I will agree with your picks. I think Kellogg from the North will be 1A. 1B will be a 2 and out. In the 3rd district Fruitland will be the 3A representative and I'll go with Weiser as the 3B just because I like to say "Weiser". Kimberly will be the 4A rep and the loser of Shelley/Sugar will be the 6B rep. to round out the brackets. Looking at the Brackets in the boys should make for some good basketball with Kellogg, Kimberly and Shelley/Sugar on one side and Fruitland Sugar/Shelley, and Snake on the other. Any of those teams have a chance to win it all.

grizz200

Re: 3A District Tournaments  2/13/2018 10:36:16 PM score: 0    hide

Homedale got the 3rd's district tournament under way by drubbing Payette 54-26. In the 2nd game, Parma hit 11 of 18 from beyond the arc and Weiser couldn't find the bottom of the net to save their lives. End result: 58-35 win for Parma. In the night cap, Fruitland had one of those games where a million things go wrong right off the bat, but they somehow managed to pull off a 48-43 win.

grizz200

Re: Re: 3A District Tournaments  2/14/2018 10:33:10 AM score: 0    hide

With under a week until the district 3 championship, there are a few things to consider.
1. Fruitland has consistently struggled against Parma in tournament games, especially after playing a game where they didn't play very well.
2. Fruitland has now had 2 games in a row where they had a quarter in which they couldn't hit the bottom of the net to save their lives and it's not due to jacking up a bunch of threes. They're missing a bunch of layins, and that helped Homedale to get out to a 21-5 lead, before Fruitland started to get some outside shots to fall to get back in the game.
3. Fruitland seems to struggle against a 2-3 zone, combined with a slower pace of play from the opposing team gives them fits. Once Homedale tried to get cute and play at a faster tempo, Fruitland jumped right back in the game.
4. Like Fruitland, Parma likes playing at a faster tempo, though they're more of a jump shooting team, that will live and die by the 3, while Fruitland is more of a transition team, with the ability to shoot the 3. If the officiating is hands off, Fruitland has the advantage. If there's a bunch of ticky-tack calls, that gives Parma the advantage.

Ron Burgundy

Re: Re: Re: 3A District Tournaments  2/14/2018 12:15:41 PM score: 0    hide

21-5? and you still win the game. Wow nice recovery for Fruitland. In the 6th district Sugar got by Teton in a closer match than the final score. Shelley was playing on all cylinders and beat South handily. If Shelley plays with the same defensive intensity as they did the other night they should beat Sugar. If they play tentatively and sit back in their zone Sugar will pick them apart. They are too well coached. Should be some good games tonight. I pick Teton getting by South and Shelley beating Sugar.

grizz200

Re: Re: Re: Re: 3A District Tournaments  2/14/2018 12:43:00 PM score: 0    hide

Fruitland has been very good at maintaining their composure, even when things seem to be going wrong. It is hard to beat a team 3 times in a row, especially when they could have won the first 2 by 40+ if they had wanted to. Homedale did a nice job of making their shots and boxing out on the boards to limit Fruitland initially, but once Fruitland started finding the bottom of the net you could sense the momentum switching. Jayden Stice came off the bench and hit 4 1st half 3s, then had a late 3rd quarter 3 to give them the lead. As long as they treat this as a learning opportunity, I think they should be fine against Parma. For Weiser and Homedale, I have a feeling Weiser's season is coming to an end. It's never a good thing to come off of a district game having been blown out.

yellowtwinkie

Total Posts: 795

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3A District Tournaments  2/14/2018 5:58:41 PM score: 0    hide

Grizz200....Didnt help weisers cause that parma shot 61% from 3 point range for the whole game. And i would bet that parma was over 75% from 3 point range thru 3 quarters. Thats a tough stat to over come no matter what team is playing.

Ron Burgundy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3A District Tournaments  2/15/2018 7:54:04 AM score: 0    hide

Back to the 6th district. Teton eliminates South Fremont in a scary fashion. Teton is a young but dangerous team if they are hitting their 3's. Shelley beats Sugar in OT to punch their ticket into the championship game. Sugar vs Teton on Friday for the loser out, then Monday for the championship game.

cougar22

Total Posts: 537

Re: 3A District Tournaments  2/20/2018 2:23:16 PM score: 0    hide

For anyone up North how many starters is Kellogg returning from last year?

yellowtwinkie

Total Posts: 795

Re: Re: 3A District Tournaments  2/20/2018 3:04:25 PM score: 0    hide

This year on their roster they have 9 seniors and 1 junior. Not alot of height in the middle. According to last years roster their was 1 senior and the rest were juniors. They are most likely starting 4 from last years team!

Reply   New Topic